The Computerworld Honors Program has identified ten categories, together spanning the gamut of human endeavor, under one of which each organization nominated to become a Laureate is classified.
- Business and Related Services
- Education and Academia
- Environment, Energy and Agriculture
- Finance, Insurance and Real Estate
- Government and Non-profit Organizations
- Media, the Arts, and Entertainment
From each category, five Laureates are chosen as Worldwide Finalists by a panel of judges especially distinguished in that category. From among these Worldwide Finalists one from each category is chosen to receive the Computerworld Honors Program Award.